Sunday, September 17, 2017

Farm Girl Vintage

I love the Farm Girl Vintage Book by Lori Holt


I love this book!  She has done an amazing job of writing out the instructions, the diagrams are clear and easy to understand.



 I joined a block of the week club back in January of this year. We could choose to do either the 6 inch or 12 inch block.  Some really ambitious people are doing both!   I chose the 12 inch block, mainly because those small pieces in the 6 inch block really intimidated me.

Since it is now the second week of September I should have approximately 37 blocks done....I have completed 5 .  I knew when I joined I probably wouldn't be able to keep up, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to try.  Plus, I didn't think I would get this far behind!  I'm really kind of embarrassed sharing this.

I have enjoyed the few blocks I've gotten done.  I've learned a lot too, for instance I now understand what a scant 1/4 in seam is!

The fabric I chose is Aunt Grace by Judie Rothermel for Marcus Fabrics.  I got it at my local quilt shop Stitch On.

The first block I did was Apron Strings.  I figure it looked simple enough. And it was easy enough and it even came out the right size!




The second one I made was the Pinwheels block. This one wasn't too difficult.  I had made pinwheels before and they weren't horrible.  Don't look too closely at my points!




For my third one I chose the Corn and Tomatoes Block.  I figured it was sort of pinwheels again, I could handle that.




Next came the Baby Chick Block.  Technically, I don't have five blocks completed because this poor guy doesn't have legs or an eye yet.




 The last one I've completed is the Sunny Sunflower Block.  For some reason this one gave me the most trouble.  Maybe that's why I've come to a standstill.  Or maybe it's because I work 10 hour days, watch my grandson on days off and have about a gazillion other projects in the works!




I know this will be a long term project.  I need to set aside a little time at least once a month to work on it.

But, Halloween costumes are going to consume most of the next month and a half.  I'm making three costumes and I'm way out of my comfort zone on these.  I'm using different fabrics and techniques than I've ever used.  I can't wait to show them to you!

Happy Sewing,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment