Sunday, September 10, 2017

Wacky Web Quilt

When I first starting quilting, I starting following Jenny Doan and Missouri Star Quilt Company.  I faithfully watched her videos and thought I needed to make every single one.  One of the first videos I watched was the Periwinkle Quilt so I ordered the template, the papers and some fabric.  At that point I had no idea about fabric designers or fabric manufacturers.  I just picked something I liked, probably a daily deal.  I went to my local Hancock's (they went out of business a couple years ago) and looked for white fabric to go with what I'd purchased from Missouri Star.

Again, I must remind you, I had no idea what I was doing.  I looked at all the white fabric and found some that was cheaper than the others.  Turns out it wasn't 100% cotton, but that's okay, right??  So I bought it and went home and started on the Periwinkle quilt.  Somewhere along the way, I realized that I probably shouldn't have mixed cotton and whatever the white fabric was, so I put it away.

It sat in a drawer for awhile until I realized I needed a quick baby quilt.  I pulled it out and thought "why not?"  I had all the triangle pieces sewn together, I just needed to trim and put them together.




This is the way Jenny put them together in her tutorial:


Notice the white?  You can tell it's not 100% cotton.

 My sweet hubby isn't into quilting but he loves helping with designs and placement.  He suggested I try something different.  This is the design we decided on.  Notice the double wedding ring quilt underneath?  My husbands grandmother and great aunt made it.



I quilted it with the walking foot and did wavy lines. You will notice the binding isn't finished.  I finished sewing the binding on the drive to the baby shower!  Boy was I cutting it close, thank goodness it was a two hour drive.  We got it folded, wrapped in tissue paper and stuffed in a gift bag as we drove up.




More close up pictures:







 My points actually match up pretty well!






 The back is a plain pink.






Because I cut it so close, I didn't have a chance to wash it before I gifted it.  I sincerely hope when the new mom washes it there won't be uneven shrinkage because of the different fabrics.   I do have plenty of blocks left over so I need to make another small quilt and wash it myself to see how it holds up.

Now I know to buy quilters cotton and I try to buy from a quilt shop whenever I can. I feel like there is always something to learn with quilting/sewing.  My next projects are another baby quilt (my first time trying applique), burp cloths, changing pads, and then on to Halloween costumes.  I'm going to be busy the next few months!

Happy sewing,

Lori

No comments:

Post a Comment