Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival

The Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival is this weekend!  It's June 19-21, 2015 and will be held at the Overland Park Convention Center, 6000 College Boulevard in Overland Park, Kansas.  Several months ago I looked through the website Kansas City Regional Quilt Festival and found a bunch of classes I wanted to take.  But of course I didn't take the time to register and by the time I remembered most of the classes were filled and the online registration time had passed.  Oh well, I've wrangled a friend into going with me on Saturday.  We'll look at all the beautiful quilts being displayed and browse the vendors.  I'll try to remember to take pics and post them later.  Maybe I'll get inspired from some of the quilts being displayed!

In the meantime, I'm a very new quilter, but I'm already hooked.  It's kind of a funny story how this came about...I wanted to make something for my granddaughter for Christmas so I started looking through patterns.

 I came across Simplicity pattern # 2493
Her room is done in turtles so I thought this would be perfect!

What I didn't realize when I bought the pattern was that it was actually a quilting pattern in disguise!
Yes there were pattern pieces, lots of them and yes I had to pin them on the fabric and cut them out, but it's still a quilt! I don't know how many times during the making of this turtle, I told my hubby that I was never doing this again, it was just too much...there were over 30 pieces!   They were all quilted individually before being sewn all together.  I guess I was actually doing a quilt as you go (QAYG) quilt.  I didn't know there was such a thing.  Anyway, I was determined to finish it and a funny thing happened as I got closer to the end.  I found I was enjoying myself, this was actually fun, watching it come together.   So here's the finished quilt:

It's not the greatest picture, but I'm very happy with the way it turned out.  My granddaughter loves it and it looks great in her room.

So that's what got me started quilting again. I jumped in with both feet once I found out about Missouri Star Quilting Company MSQC  Jenny does great tutorials and makes it so even a beginner can understand.   I have 3 quilts in varying stages of completion.  And lots more on my to do list!

That's all for now:)

Lori



No comments:

Post a Comment